Menus-Plaisirs - Les Troisgros
ONLY ONE SCREENING!
Founded in 1930 in central France, the Troisgros family restaurant has been holding 3 Michelin stars for 55 years over four generations. Michel Troisgros, the third generation to head the restaurant, has turned over the responsibility for the cuisine to his son César, the 4th generation of Troisgros chefs.
From the market to pick fresh vegetables, to a cheese processing plant, a vineyard, an organic cattle ranch to the backyard garden supplying the restaurant, Wiseman embarks us on a mouthwatering and sense-pleasing journey into the family’s three restaurant kitchens.
An immersive experience, showing the great artistry, ingenuity, imagination, and hard work of the restaurant staff in creating, preparing, and presenting meals of the highest quality.
- "With MENUS-PLAISIRS LES TROISGROS, Frederick Wiseman proves again to be the master poet of micro textures that speak to the macro of social infrastructure."
- Slant Magazine
- "A film that, regardless of its easy-going pace, demands active engagement with its action—a request that’s innately in tune with its depiction of creation through dialogue."
- The Daily Beast
- "The vast majority of MENUS-PLAISIRS LES TROISGROS finds Wiseman and his cinematographer James Bishop finding a good spot to observe two or three or many more people doing a thing and just leaving it there and watching what happens. Each of these moments is rich enough to feel like a short film unto itself: sometimes explanatory, other times subtly funny or empathetic"
- "Of course, making food that looks effortless requires enormous effort. MENUS-PLAISIRS LES TROISGROS is a movie about that effort; about the hours and days and months and years of sweat, thought, choices, and practice required to produce something worthwhile — great food, certainly, but really any work of art."
- "MENUS-PLAISIRS is not amongst his masterpieces but it’s a fine late addition to the Wiseman canon––even in a media landscape so saturated with food shows and celebrity chefs, the director’s made a film that feels both fresh and artistically stimulating, unmistakably his own."
- The Film Stage
- Toronto Int'l Film Festival
- Reykjavik Int'l Film Festival
- Venice Film Festival
- New York Film Festival
- Mumbai Film Festival
- BFI London Film Festival
- La Roche-sur-Yon Int'l Film Festival
- Ji.hlava Int'l Documentary Film Festival
- Denver Film Festival
- Göteborg Film Festival.
- AFI Fest