Io Capitano (Me, Captain)
A Homeric fairy tale that tells the adventurous journey of two Senegalese teenagers, Seydou and Moussa, who travel from Dakar to Europe in the hope of becoming pop stars in Europe, finding danger, heartbreak and unexpected joy along the way.
Seydou Sarr, Moustapha Fall, Issaka Sawadogo
Italy, Belgium, France
- "Garrone’s film has a three-dimensional and devastatingly realized human soul at its core. The world could do with paying attention to Seydou’s story and the millions of other real ones like it."
- "IO CAPITANO is surprisingly classical in construction and style, wisely guiding our attention away from its sure directorial touch and toward the story at hand — pieced together by a small army of screenwriters and collaborating contributors from first-hand migrant accounts."
- "While the landscapes, especially in the parched Sahara section of the story, are dazzling, Carnera’s camera always keeps the focus on the humans, sometimes specks seen from great distances moving through the sand and sometimes studied in close-ups that fill the widescreen canvas."
- The Hollywood Reporter
- "The gritty realism of IO CAPITANO’s story is leavened throughout by recognizably ‘Garronian’ touches; pools of magic realism, theatrical set pieces of colourful intensity."
- Screen Daily
- "There are moments when Garrone’s vision strays too close to the fable in its narrative even as its images portray a brutal reality. However, Io Capitano doesn’t lose its humanity."
- Academy Awards Nomenee
- San Sebastián Int'l Film Festival
- Venice Film Festival
- CinEuphoria Awards
- Stockholm Int'l Film Festival
- Leiden Int´l Film Festival
- Taipei Golden Horse Film Festival
- Haifa Film Festival
- AFI Fest