MAESTRO is a towering and fearless love story chronicling the lifelong relationship between Leonard Bernstein and Felicia Montealegre Cohn Bernstein. A love letter to life and art, Maestro at its core is an emotionally epic portrayal of family and love.
Bradley Cooper, Carey Mulligan, Matt Bomer
- "This is a complex and sophisticated picture, the kind of grown-up love story we see all too rarely these days, especially when it comes to starry, big-ticket moviemaking. It’s entertaining and robust and forthright; it’s also tremendously sad, not necessarily in a bring-your-hanky way, but in a deeper, more truthful way."
- "Amplifying its force with thrilling use of the subject’s music, this is a layered examination of a relationship that might be grossly over-simplified today as that of a closeted gay man and his “beard.” But Cooper and co-screenwriter Josh Singer dig deeper to depict a unique union, fraught with conflicts yet unbreakable — even when it’s broken."
- The Hollywood Reporter
- "MAESTRO can’t help but be dominated by the grandeur of Bernstein’s passion, his outsize flaws, and the tightrope he walked between the need to find the meaning of beauty and the desire to stay fancy free. Yet Cooper and Mulligan make the movie a duet to remember."
- "MAESTRO is every bit Felicia’s story as it is Bernstein’s, and all the better for it. Through her, we see how convivial, how magnetic, how cold he could be."
- Rolling Stone
- Gotham Awards
- Middleburg Film Festival
- Virginia Film Festival
- Venice Film Festival
- New York Film Festival
- Zurich Film Fesstival
- Sau Oablo Int'l Film festival
- AFI Fest Film Festival
- BFI London Film Festival
- Mill Valley Film Festival
- SCAD Savannah Film Festival
- Mumbai Film Festival