Anselm in 3D
This unique cinematic experience dives deep into an artist’s work and reveals his life path, inspiration, and creative process. It explores his fascination with myth and history.
Past and present are interwoven to diffuse the line between film and painting, allowing the audience to be completely immersed in the remarkable world of one of the greatest contemporary artists, Anselm Kiefer. Wim Wenders shot this unique portrait over the course of two years in stunning 3D.
Anselm Kiefer, Daniel Kiefer, Anton Wenders
- "More a portrait of Kiefer’s work than a standard biographical study of Kiefer himself, ANSELM is a very particular study of a singular man’s soul, told through images of his oeuvre, augmented by sensational use of archive rendered in 3D."
- "This is a superbly controlled and expressed film and its high seriousness about the nature and purpose of art really is invigorating."
- The Guardian
- "Wim Wenders’ latest documentary ANSELM offers a mesmerizing, cinematic catalogue of German painter-sculptor Anselm Kiefer’s deeply tactile, maximalist oeuvre."
- The Hollywood Reporter
- "ANSELM is a portrait of eminent German artist Anselm Kiefer, exploring the man’s spectacular – and often spectacularly sombre – work. Wenders also delves into Kiefer’s biography and his political, historical and literary interests, which chime with the director’s own long-term fascinations to make this arguably the director’s most personal – and certainly most German – film in some time."
- Screen Daily
- Santa Fe Int'l Film Festival
- CineLibri Int'l Book and Movie Festival
- Cannes Film Festival
- Melbourne Int'l Film Festival
- Vancouver Int'l Film Festival
- Chicago Int'l Film Festival
- Taipei Golden Horse Film Festival
- BFI London Film Festival
- Mumbai Film Festival
- Cinilibri Book&Movie Festival
- AFI Fest
- Göteborg Film Festival