Set during a bitter 1964 Massachusetts winter, young secretary Eileen becomes enchanted by Rebecca, the glamorous new counselor at the prison where she works.
Their budding friendship takes a twisted turn when Rebecca reveals a dark secret — throwing Eileen onto a sinister path. Based on the book of the same name by bestselling author, Ottessa Moshfegh.
Anne Hathaway, Thomasin McKenzie, & Shea Whigham
- "Oldroyd lulled me into a false sense of expectation and then dropped a bomb into his movie that completely shifted the ground under my feet. I can't remember the last time I was so energized by a surprise."
- "Oldroyd is clearly a master assembler of styles, but he never lets his vision outshine the wonderful central performances at the movie’s core."
- "Rippling with sly humor and a bold command of the tropes of classic Hitchcockian suspense, this is a twisty and beguiling original, led by contrasting but expertly synced performances from Thomasin McKenzie and Anne Hathaway."
- The Hollywood Reporter
- "Oldroyd attacks with a pace that makes his plot twists more shocking and shows an economy that harks back to the golden age of noir."
- Screen Daily
- "The formal rigor that made Oldroyd’s “Lady Macbeth” such a striking debut is in evidence here throughout, but this time that directorial precision is applied to a narrative of bold, even garish ambition, which EILEEN conceals, along with its unhinged heart, beneath a controlled, placid exterior."
- Sundance Film Festival
- Stockholm Int'l Film Festival
- Thessaloniki Int'l Film Festival
- BFI London Film Festiva
- Nashville Film Festival
- Woodstock Film Festival
- Zurich Film Festival
- New Hampshire Film Festival
- Middleburg Film Festival
- Philadelphia Film Festival
- SCAD Savannah Film Festival
- Virginia Film Festival
- Monclair Film Festival
- American Film Festival