The Royal Hotel
Americans Hanna and Liv are best friends backpacking in Australia. After they run out of money, Liv, looking for an adventure, convinces Hanna to take a temporary live-in job behind the bar of a pub called ’The Royal Hotel’ in a remote Outback mining town. Bar owner Billy and a host of locals give the girls a riotous introduction to Down Under drinking culture but soon Hanna and Liv find themselves trapped in an unnerving situation that grows rapidly out of their control.
Julia Garner, Jessica Henwick, Hugo Weaving
Australia, United Kingdom
- "90 minutes of psychologically punishing, vise-like tension, but also a sharp and canny report on human behavior."
- The Messenger
- "Two features into her career as a fiction filmmaker, it’s safe to call Green a master of the microaggression."
- Little White Lies
- "The film’s tight tonal control wavers a bit in the final stretches, but Green externalises her characters’ inner anguish in a persuasive manner."
- Screen International
- "The most intriguing aspect of Kitty Green’s new thriller THE ROYAL HOTEL is what she doesn’t tell you."
- The Playlist
- Toronto Int'l Film Festival
- San Sebastián Int'l Film Festival
- BFI London Film Festival
- Telluride Film Festival
- SXSW Sydney Screen Festival
- Adelaide Film Festival