A Thousand and One
1h 56m Drama
Grand Jury Prize Winner at the 2023 Sundance Film Festival. After unapologetic and fiercely loyal Inez kidnaps her son Terry from the foster care system, mother and son set out to reclaim their sense of home, identity, and stability, in a rapidly changing New York City.
A THOUSAND AND ONE is slated to be an Oscar contender following Teyana Taylor's riveting performance!
Teyana Taylor, Aaron Kingsley Adetola, Aven Courtney
- "Director and screenwriter A.V. Rockwell’s lens captures the beauty and vibrancy of the city of New York, Black life, and motherhood in poverty..."
- Chicago Reader
- "It’s Taylor who anchors Rockwell’s direction and screenplay with her powerhouse performance."
- "A passionate panorama of political obstacles to personal achievement, the inseparability of private life from public power."
- New Yorker
- "A THOUSAND AND ONE brims with authenticity and the electrifying emotional intensity of the best melodramas."
- Slant Magazine
- "The film thrums with the energy of New York in the '90s."
- "A THOUSAND AND ONE represents storytelling at its best."
- "Anchored by a virtuoso performance from Teyana Taylor, director A.V. Rockwell’s ambitious, detailed, slightly underbaked feature debut captures the evolution of this central relationship in the face of New York’s strangling gentrification."
- The Film Stage
- "A Thousand And One is an elegant ode to the terribly beautiful power of family as an anchor in an ever-changing world, making us into who we are in ways we can only haltingly understand with powerful performances from Teyana Taylor and William Catlett"
- The Curvy Film Critic
- Sundance Film Festival