Triangle of Sadness
In Ruben Östlund’s wickedly funny Palme d’Or winner, social hierarchy is turned upside down, revealing the tawdry relationship between power and beauty. Celebrity model couple, Carl (Harris Dickinson) and Yaya (Charlbi Dean), are invited on a luxury cruise for the uber-rich, helmed by an unhinged boat captain (Woody Harrelson). What first appeared instagrammable ends catastrophically, leaving the survivors stranded on a desert island and fighting for survival.
Thobias Thorwid, Harris Dickinson, Charlbi Dean
Sweden, France, United Kingdom, Germany, Turkey, Greece
- "The points of Östlund’s Triangle are far from subtle. Vanity is toxic; fortunes corrupt; everyone loves to see an Instagrammer getting their comeuppance. But across its well-earned two-and-a-half-hour running time, epic schadenfreude keeps edging into genuine sympathy, and we feel just sorry enough for these awful people for the next humiliation to sting just as hard."
- The Telegraph
- "For the majority of the film, Östlund’s combination of sledgehammer and scalpel work a treat. They’re fast becoming the hallmarks of a satirist who’s unlikely to run short of subject matter any time soon."
- Time Out
- "The director of The Square gives a new shape a whirl with hilarious, scathing and sometimes jaw-dropping results."
- Total Film
- Cannes Film Festival
- Toronto Int'l Film Festival
- New Zealand Int'l Film Festival
- New Horizons Int'l Film Festival
- Sydney Film Festival
- Jerusalem Film Festival