My Name Is Pauli Murray
Fifteen years before Rosa Parks refused to surrender her bus seat, a full decade before the U.S. Supreme Court overturned separate-but-equal legislation, Pauli Murray was already knee-deep fighting for social justice. A pioneering attorney, activist, priest and dedicated memoirist, Murray shaped landmark litigation--and consciousness--around race and gender equity. As an African American youth raised in the segregated South--who was also wrestling with broader notions of gender identity--Pauli understood, intrinsically, what it was to exist beyond previously accepted categories and cultural norms. Both Pauli's personal path and tireless advocacy foreshadowed some of the most politically consequential issues of our time. Told largely in Pauli's own words, MY NAME IS PAULI MURRAY is a candid recounting of that unique and extraordinary journey.
Julie Cohen, Betsy West
Patricia Bell-Scott, Dolores Chandler, Brittney Cooper
- "Betsy West and Julie Cohen's fond, thoughtful tribute to the many lives of the trailblazing black activist, lawyer, queer pioneer, poet and priest will leave many viewers wondering why they have never previously heard the name."
- Screen International
- "A documentary highlighting the incredible life & legacy of Pauli Murray. A trailblazer in human rights who inspired many women including RBG. Everyone should know the name, Pauli Murray."
- In Their Own League
- "Possibly the most unsung and influential thought maker in legal Civil Rights history..."
- Chicago Reader
Tightly edited and informative, MY NAME IS PAULI MURRAY is a knockout documentary proving that despite American society's fragility, the strides that we have made are often the work of the most underprivileged."
- Shadow and Act
- Sundance Film Festival
- Melbourne Int'l Film Festival
- Provincetown Int'l Film Festival
- Full Frame Documentary Film Festival
- Chicago DOC10 Film Festival
- Outfest Los Angeles
- AFI DOCS