A queer college freshman joins her university’s rowing team and undertakes an obsessive physical and psychological journey to make it to the top varsity boat, no matter the cost.
Isabelle Fuhrman, Amy Forsyth, Dilone
- "Dark, unnerving and thrilling, THE NOVICE is poised to become a genre-breaking success. A film this raw made with such a steady, assured hand only comes along once in a while. We should take notice."
- The Hollywood Reporter
- "It’s Furhman, steadily building Alex from the inside out, even as she’s crumbling around her, that adds the most tension and intensity to the film, offering a fully realized performance in a story all about the pain of realizing how much further you have to go."
- "Hadaway indicts this country’s misguided preoccupation with being first, scrutinizing America’s twisted values via the prism of her uber-competitive protagonist. As a result, THE NOVICE officially claims the title of The Best Film About Rowing Ever Made."
- Film Threat
- Tribeca Film Festival
- San Diego Int'l Film Festival
- Philadelphia Int'l Film Festival
- Deauville American Film Festival
- Outfest Los Angeles
- Coronado Island Film Festival
- American Film Festival