The Last Duel
THE LAST DUEL is a cinematic and thought-provoking drama set in the midst of the Hundred Years War that explores the ubiquitous power of men, the frailty of justice and the strength and courage of one woman willing to stand alone in the service of truth. Based on actual events, the film unravels long-held assumptions about France's last sanctioned duel between Jean de Carrouges and Jacques Le Gris, two friends turned bitter rivals. Carrouges is a respected knight known for his bravery and skill on the battlefield. Le Gris is a Norman squire whose intelligence and eloquence make him one of the most admired nobles in court. When Carrouges' wife, Marguerite, is viciously assaulted by Le Gris, a charge he denies, she refuses to stay silent, stepping forward to accuse her attacker, an act of bravery and defiance that puts her life in jeopardy. The ensuing trial by combat, a grueling duel to the death, places the fate of all three in God's hands. *Content Warning: THE LAST DUEL contains graphic depictions of sexual violence*
Matt Damon, Adam Driver, Jodie Comer
United States, United Kingdom
- "THE LAST DUEL reveals itself as something all too rare on the current Hollywood field of battle: an intelligent and genuinely daring big budget melee that is — above all else — the product of recognizable artistic collaboration."
- "THE LAST DUEL’s staggering trial by combat allows for some brilliant performances, brutal fights, and impactful social commentary."
- "It’s really rather heartening that Affleck, Damon, and Driver are all on such good form in betraying their gender to this degree, as they conspire in illustrating, in a fun, undemanding, slickly made way, how men are now and have always been, the absolute fucking worst."
- The Playlist
- Deauville Film Festival
- Venice Film Festival
- Zurich Film Festival
- Film Fest Gent
- Chicago Int'l Film Festival
- Mill Valley Film Festival