No Ordinary Man
American jazz musician Billy Tipton developed a reputable touring and recording career in the mid-twentieth century, along with his band The Billy Tipton Trio. After his death in the late 80s, it was revealed that Tipton was assigned female at birth, and his life was swiftly reframed as the story of an ambitious woman passing as a man in pursuit of a music career. The genre-defying documentary NO ORDINARY MAN seeks to correct that misrepresentation by collaborating with trans artists. As they collectively celebrate Tipton’s story as a musician living his life according to his own terms, they paint a portrait of a trans culture icon.
Aisling Chin-Yee, Chase Joynt
Billy Tipton Jr., Holden Bernstein, Kate Bornstein, Ryan Cassata
- "Knowing how much transgender people still have to struggle to be recognized, we can also take joy in hearing their voices made central to this story, and having Tipton's story be told, finally, as it should."
- "Directors Aisling Chin-Yee and Chase Joynt present a remarkably nuanced and sympathetic portrait of Tipton's life through a fascinating lens."
- National Post
- "What's most interesting about the doc is how it navigates transmasculine history and weaves the stories of others into Tipton's story."
- Miami New Times
- Montreal Int'l Documentary Festival
- Cleveland Int'l Film Festiva
- Inside Out Toronto LGBT Film Festival
- Toronto Int'l Film Festival
- Sofia Int'l Film Festival
- BFI Flare London LGBTQ+ Film Festival
- Malmö Queer Film Festival